It is important to note that cohousing is not the intentional communities of communes we know of in the United States, which are sometimes organized around ideological beliefs… Cohousing, on the other hand, offers a ‘new’ approach to housing rather than a new way of life. ~Creating Cohousing by McCamant & Durrett
As designers of our own future neighborhood, we are working together to create a new approach to housing in Truckee. These shared values describe how we act with our neighbors, our larger community, and our world:
- We value family, playfulness, fun, warmth, mutual support, and a shared joy in our common humanity!
- We are people-oriented. We intentionally build community and organize and design our physical space to support and enhance people’s lives.
- We cultivate a community where people of all ages, ethnicities, abilities, classes, genders, and sexual orientations can feel welcome and connected.
- We actively work to dismantle barriers to a just and inclusive society.
- We are civic and social leaders, aiming to positively impact our town, region, country and the world.
- We are stewards of our environment, aspiring to make a positive impact on our physical surroundings.
- We aspire to live active and healthy lives.
- We are rational and practical problem-solvers, bringing innovative ideas to our projects.